In the Marketing Studio, Ian Truscott and regular guest rockstar strategy advisor Jeff Clark, former Research Director at SiriusDecisions/Forrester review a nomination for the Rockstar CMO Swimming Pool from Tim Parkin from episode 117: “AI & algorithms are going to save you and replace marketing fundamentals”.
Ian goes backstage with Leila Modarres, CMO at Apexon, a digital-first technology services company. Leila oversees Apexon’s global branding and communications, covering everything from market positioning and awareness-building to employer branding and demand generation initiatives. As they discuss, Leila has pioneered a marketing-as-a-service approach and they also discuss attracting and retaining talent, especially the next generation of marketing rockstars.
Before Apexon, Leila headed marketing and launched Cumulus Networks, and was the VP of Marketing at DeviceAnywhere, establishing their category leadership and subsequent acquisition by Keynote Systems. Prior to that, Leila held key roles at emerging technology companies Virtual Iron (acquired by Oracle) and PanGo Networks (acquired by InnerWireless).
Leila has also created the award-winning YouTube channel DTV, where she interviews customers, partners, and other luminaries to profile their thought leadership and digital expertise. She regularly speaks at events and has received industry recognition for leadership, marketing best practices, and mentoring of female leaders. She was recognized as a Woman of Influence by Silicon Valley Business Journal in 2020.
Finally, we are transported away to the Rockstar virtual bar to join Robert Rose, Chief Trouble Maker at The Content Advisory. This week he is inspired by Top Gun and feels the need for conversation, as he encourages marketing and sales to talk to improve content strategy and create content about the content.
If you have any thoughts or suggestions on the topics we discuss, please let us know.
- Ian Truscott on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Jeff Clark on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Leila Modarres on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Robert Rose on Twitter and LinkedIn
Mentioned in this week’s episode:
- Interview with Tim Parkin on Episode 117
- Marketers: Technology May Make Your Job Obsolete; Now Here’s The Good News – from The Forrester Blog
- Three Mindflaying Facts About AI for B2B Marketers – from The Forrester Blog
- The Marketing Book Podcast – Marketing Artificial Intelligence with Paul Roetzer
- Leila’s company Apexon
- Leila’s award-winning YouTube channel DTV
- Robert’s The Content Advisory Blog
- Robert’s latest project: Experience Advisors
- Rockstar CMO on the web, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Previous episodes and all show notes: Rockstar CMO FM
- Rockstar CMO Advisors
- Piano Music is by Johnny Easton, shared under a creative commons license
- We’ll be right back by Stienski & Mass Media – on YouTube
- Machine by Imagine Dragons – on Spotify
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoicesShare this article
Get In Touch
If you are looking for more marketing street knowledge and would like to setup an advisory, or have any feedback, get in touch!